The most practical way to design a room is by keeping the major items classic and neutral. Then use the details to tie the whole room together. This is where you want to add trendy, or unique items that reflect your personality. Accessories will enhance the room and add warmth and interest. Here are 13 tried and true ways the pros use to accessorize.
1. Use books. Stacked or piled, they add warmth. They are also ideal for elevating objects in a grouping. See also #7.
2. Group objects in odd numbers, usually in 3.
3. Use trays to corral small items or to create a grouping.
4. Vary the size of your throw pillows.
5. Add a pop of unexpected color, the opposite of your color scheme to create contrast.
6. Get rid of too many small accessories, they are visual clutter.
7. Vary heights in vignettes for more interest.
8. Vary textures.
9. Use lidded baskets/boxes for unsightly items such as remotes, electronics, or makeup and lotions.
10. Use cylinder vases. Add branches, decorative items, fruits…the possibilities are endless.
11. Add a throw blanket.
12. Add unique items that have meaning to you, or swap out seasonal decor.
13. Always use something green. Notice every picture in this post has flowers, greenery, or something from nature.
The following photos illustrate perfectly the tips above. The first photo shows a classic, but boring room. The rest show it styled several ways. You will see all of the tips above incorporated in the after photos.
How do you accessorize your space?